Re: Adding support for Default partition in partitioning

From: Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding support for Default partition in partitioning
Date: 2017-07-30 02:37:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Ashutosh,

0003 patch

> + parentRel = heap_open(parentOid, AccessExclusiveLock);
> In [2], Amit Langote has given a reason as to why heap_drop_with_catalog()
> should not heap_open() the parent relation. But this patch still calls
> heap_open() without giving any counter argument. Also I don't see
> get_default_partition_oid() using Relation anywhere. If you remove that
> heap_open() please remove following heap_close().

I think the patch 0004 exactly does what you have said here, i.e. it gets
rid of the heap_open() and heap_close().
The question might be why I kept the patch 0004 a separate one, and the
answer is I wanted to make it easier for review, and also keeping it that
way would make it bit easy to work on a different approach if needed.

About this: *"Also I don't see get_default_partition_oid() using Relation
anywhere."*
The get_default_partition_oid() uses parent relation to
retrieve PartitionDesc
from parent.

Kindly let me know if you think I am still missing anything.

Regards,
Jeevan Ladhe