Re: Logical Replication - improve error message while adding tables to the publication in check_publication_add_relation

From: Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical Replication - improve error message while adding tables to the publication in check_publication_add_relation
Date: 2021-03-10 07:56:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 10:44 AM Bharath Rupireddy <
bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While providing thoughts on [1], I observed that the error messages
> that are emitted while adding foreign, temporary and unlogged tables
> can be improved a bit from the existing [2] to [3].

+1 for improving the error messages here.

> Attaching a small patch. Thoughts?

I had a look at the patch and it looks good to me. However, I think after
you have added the specific kind of table type in the error message itself,
now the error details seem to be giving redundant information, but others
might
have different thoughts.

The patch itself looks good otherwise. Also the make check and postgres_fdw
check looking good.

Regards,
Jeevan Ladhe