Re: Adding support for Default partition in partitioning

From: Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding support for Default partition in partitioning
Date: 2017-05-17 09:29:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Ashutosh Bapat <
ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:01 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Jeevan Ladhe
> > <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> >> I have fixed the crash in attached patch.
> >> Also the patch needed bit of adjustments due to recent commit.
> >> I have re-based the patch on latest commit.
> >
> > + bool has_default; /* Is there a default partition?
> > Currently false
> > + * for a range partitioned table */
> > + int default_index; /* Index of the default list
> > partition. -1 for
> > + * range partitioned tables */
> >

> We have has_null and null_index for list partitioning. There
> null_index == -1 = has_null. May be Rahila and/or Jeevan just copied
> that style. Probably we should change that as well?

I agree with Ashutosh.
I had given similar comment on earlier version of patch[1]
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOgcT0NUUQXWRXmeVKkYTDQvWoKLYRMiPbc89ua6i_gG8FPDmA%40mail.gmail.com>,
and Rahila reverted
with above reasoning, hence did not change the logic she introduced.

Probably its a good idea to have a separate patch that removes has_null
logic,
in a separate thread.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOgcT0NUUQXWRXmeVKkYTDQvWoKLYRMiPbc89ua6i_gG8FPDmA%40mail.gmail.com