Re: max_connections

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Modumudi, Sireesha" <Sireesha(dot)Modumudi(at)emc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_connections
Date: 2012-09-05 20:34:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Modumudi, Sireesha
<Sireesha(dot)Modumudi(at)emc(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using postgres 8.3.9 on SUSE 64 bit. By default max_connections is 100,
> but I want to know if this can be increased, if so, what should we take into
> consideration?

If you're considering raising this then you should probably be looking
at some kind of pooler like pgbouncer or pgool. That said I've run
servers that did things like sessions (small transactions and lots of
idle connects) to ~1000 before but make sure you've got enough memory
free as each backend will use about 6MB of memory.