Help! PostgreSQL stuck at starting up after crash

From: Samuel Hwang <samuel(at)replicon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help! PostgreSQL stuck at starting up after crash
Date: 2012-01-19 00:33:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

version Postgresql 9.1.1 on centos5 x64

We experience slow performance and found the server is running 3 vacuum
process on the same db which use up 99% of CPU.
Then we kill -9 one of those process which cause postgresql to crash and it
tried to restart after the crash
However when the starting process reach the last WAL files, it just stuck
there

pg_controldata shows the db is in Archive Recovery mode and when using psql
to connect the db, it says FATAL: the database system starting up.

I took a chance and upgrade to PostgreSql 9.1.2 and see if anything changed
it still stuck at the end of recovery.
pg_controldata shows db is in Crash recovery, but that probably different
wording I think
using psql to connect the db, it says FATAL: the database system is
starting up.

I pretty much run out of idea here.
Can anyone help what to go from here?

Samuel