Re: How to know referenced sub-fields of a composite type?

From: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)heterodb(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to know referenced sub-fields of a composite type?
Date: 2019-05-29 06:50:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Amit,

2019年5月29日(水) 13:26 Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>:

> Kaigai-san,
>
> On 2019/05/29 12:13, Kohei KaiGai wrote:
> > One interesting data type in Apache Arrow is "Struct" data type. It is
> > equivalent to composite
> > type in PostgreSQL. The "Struct" type has sub-fields, and individual
> > sub-fields have its own
> > values array for each.
> >
> > It means we can skip to load the sub-fields unreferenced, if
> > query-planner can handle
> > referenced and unreferenced sub-fields correctly.
> > On the other hands, it looks to me RelOptInfo or other optimizer
> > related structure don't have
> > this kind of information. RelOptInfo->attr_needed tells extension
> > which attributes are referenced
> > by other relation, however, its granularity is not sufficient for sub-fields.
>
> Isn't that true for some other cases as well, like when a query accesses
> only some sub-fields of a json(b) column? In that case too, planner
> itself can't optimize away access to other sub-fields. What it can do
> though is match a suitable index to the operator used to access the
> individual sub-fields, so that the index (if one is matched and chosen)
> can optimize away accessing unnecessary sub-fields. IOW, it seems to me
> that the optimizer leaves it up to the indexes (and plan nodes) to further
> optimize access to within a field. How is this case any different?

I think it is a little bit different scenario.
Even if an index on sub-fields can indicate the tuples to be fetched,
the fetched tuple contains all the sub-fields because heaptuple is
row-oriented data.
For example, if WHERE-clause checks a sub-field: "x" then aggregate
function references other sub-field "y", Scan/Join node has to return
a tuple that contains both "x" and "y". IndexScan also pops up a tuple
with a full composite type, so here is no problem if we cannot know
which sub-fields are referenced in the later stage.
Maybe, if IndexOnlyScan supports to return a partial composite type,
it needs similar infrastructure that can be used for a better composite
type support on columnar storage.

> > Probably, all we can do right now is walk-on the RelOptInfo list to
> > lookup FieldSelect node
> > to see the referenced sub-fields. Do we have a good idea instead of
> > this expensive way?
> > # Right now, PG-Strom loads all the sub-fields of Struct column from
> > arrow_fdw foreign-table
> > # regardless of referenced / unreferenced sub-fields. Just a second best.
>
> I'm missing something, but if PG-Strom/arrow_fdw does look at the
> FieldSelect nodes to see which sub-fields are referenced, why doesn't it
> generate a plan that will only access those sub-fields or why can't it?

Likely, it is not a technical problem but not a smart implementation.
If I missed some existing infrastructure we can apply, it may be more suitable
than query/expression tree walking.

Best regards,
--
HeteroDB, Inc / The PG-Strom Project
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)heterodb(dot)com>