Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning

From: Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning
Date: 2017-12-21 14:02:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 6:26 PM, David Rowley
<david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 21 December 2017 at 22:01, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> I've attached the latest version of the patch. This is based
>> on Amit's v15 of faster-partition-pruning [1] which I found to cleanly
>> apply to f94eec490
>
> Well, that went out of date pretty quickly. Amit has now posted v16 of
> the faster partition pruning patch [1] which conflicts with my changes
> in my v2 patch.
>
> I've attached a new version of the patch to resolve these conflicts.

Thank you for the patch, I applied it over Amit's v16 patches on
commit 180428404.

I found that make check is crashing along with the following sql you mentioned.

postgres=# create table ta (a int not null) partition by list (a);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create table ta1 partition of ta for values in(1,2);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create table ta2 partition of ta for values in(3,4);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# explain select * from ta where a <> 1 and a <> 2;
before or while processing the request.

This seems like having two different patches for the same feature. I
will post my version of the patch which uses the struct
PartitionPruneInfo from your patch and I will add the other additional
features you added like optimizing the pruning rescan. I will try and
post the patch tomorrow.
If there is more suggestions, you can give it over that; otherwise it
seems like duplicating efforts.

--

Beena Emerson

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company