Re: FreeBSD 11 compiling from source cannot find readline headers

From: Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 11 compiling from source cannot find readline headers
Date: 2018-10-22 02:33:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com> writes:
> > The current version of FreeBSD 11 cannot compile the PostgreSQL from
> source
> > without adding the --with-includes flag to the configure option
>
> Yeah, and I believe you need a --with-libs switch too. This is just a
> FreeBSD idiosyncrasy --- everybody else thinks their compilers should
> automatically search the platform's standard place for optional packages.

--with-libs is not needed when compiling with just a default "make
install-world" on FreeBSD10 nor 11

> > I noticed this issue mostly because I remembered on FreeBSD 10, I did not
> > even need to have the readline package explicitly installed and the
> > configure would still work perfectly fine, even confirming it could find
> > the readline headers.
>
> Really? AFAIK FreeBSD has always been like this. I did find a wiki
> page suggesting they're thinking about changing it:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/WarnerLosh/UsrLocal
>
> regards, tom lane

Positive. I set up a brand new 10.4 VM as I was writing up this email to
test this just to make sure I wasn't remembering things wrong. I believe
it's the same back in 9 as well, but that's harder to set up a quick test
now. Only thing required in 10.4 is to install gmake and everything "just
works".

And now for 11+, it seems readline is the only additional include/library
that is required to compile postgresql on a clean FreeBSD install that the
--with-includes is needed just for that. Main reason being seems to be that
they no longer have a readline header included by default in core.

--
Keith Fiske
Senior Database Engineer