Re: [Proposal] Make the optimiser aware of partitions ordering

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Make the optimiser aware of partitions ordering
Date: 2017-09-20 22:00:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 5:30 AM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 3/20/17 11:03, Ronan Dunklau wrote:
>>> Great idea. This is too late for v10 at this point, but please add it
>>> to the next CommitFest so we don't forget about it.
>> I know it is too late, and thought that it was too early to add it to the
>> commitfest properly since so many design decisions should be discussed. Thanks
>> for the feedback, I added it.
>
> This patch no longer applies. Please send an update.

Thanks for the reminder, and sorry for very very late answer. PFA
rebased patch on current head.

I unfortunately didn't have time yet to read carefully the newly added
infrastructure (30833ba154e0c1106d61e3270242dc5999a3e4f3 and
following), so this patch is still using its own copy of partitions
list. I hope I can work on it shortly, but I prefer to send the
rebased version now, since it's still a POC with knowns problems and
questions, and I'll more than welcome any guidance with it.

Attachment Content-Type Size
sorted_append_v2.diff text/plain 47.3 KB