Re: Duplicate history file?

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tatsuro Yamada <tatsuro(dot)yamada(dot)tf(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Duplicate history file?
Date: 2021-06-16 13:43:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 9:19 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> This is exactly it. I don't agree that we can, or should, treat every
> sensible thing that we realize about what the archive command or the
> backup tool should be doing as some bug in our documentation that has to
> be backpatched.
> If you're serious about continuing on this path, it strikes me that the
> next step would be to go review all of the above mentioned tools,
> identify all of the things that they do and the checks that they have,
> and then craft a documentation patch to add all of those- for both
> archive command and pg_start/stop_backup.

1) I'm not saying that every single check that every single tools
currently does is a requirement for a safe command and/or should be
documented
2) I don't think that there are thousands and thousands of
requirements, as you seem to imply
3) I still don't understand why you think that having a partial
knowledge of what makes an archive_command safe scattered in the
source code of many third party tools is a good thing

But what better alternative are you suggesting? Say that no ones
knows what an archive_command should do and let people put a link to
their backup solution in the hope that they will eventually converge
to a safe solution that no one will be able to validate?