Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, "imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)
Date: 2020-03-27 14:42:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:01 PM Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2020/03/27 19:00, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> >> Yes, we could be using jstate here. I originally used that to avoid passing
> >> PGSS_EXEC (or the other one) as a way to say "ignore this information as
> >> there's the jstate which says it's yet another meaning". If that's not an
> >> issue, I can change that as PGSS_NUM_KIND will clearly improve the explicit "2"
> >> all over the place.
> >
> > Done, passing PGSS_PLAN when jumble is intended, with a comment saying that the
> > pgss_kind is ignored in that case.

> >> I think we originally added it as a way to avoid too much compatibility break,
> >> and also because it seems like a field most users will be interested in anyway.
> >> Now that I'm thinking about it again, I indeed think it was a mistake to have
> >> that in view part only. Not mainly for consistency, but for users who would be
> >> interested in the total_time field while not wanting to pay the overhead of
> >> retrieving the query text if they don't need it. So I'll change that!
> >
> > Done
> >

> Thanks for updating the patch! But I'm still wondering if it's really
> good thing to expose total_time. For example, when the query fails
> with an error many times and "calls" becomes very different from
> "plans", "total_plan_time" + "total_exec_time" is really what the users
> are interested in?

That's also the case when running explain without analyze, or prepared
statements that fallback to generic plans. As a user, knowing how
long postgres actually spent processing a query is interesting as a
way to find likely low hanging fruits, even if there's no
planning/execution strict correlation. The planning/execution detail
is also useful but that's probably not what I'd be starting from (at
least in OLTP workload).

The error scenario is unfortunate, but that's yet another topic.

> Some users may be interested in the sum of mean
> times, but it's not exposed...

Yes, we had a discussion about summing the other fields, but it seems
to me that doing a sum of computed fields doesn't really make sense.
Mean without variance is already not that useful.

> So what I'd like to say is that the information that users are interested
> in would vary on each situation and case. At least for me it seems
> enough for pgss to report only the basic information. Then users
> can calculate to get the numbers (like total_time) they're interested in,
> from those basic information.
>
> But of course, I'd like to hear more opinions about this...

+1

Unless someone chime in by tomorrow, I'll just drop the sum as it
seems less controversial and not a blocker in userland if users are
interested.

> + if (api_version >= PGSS_V1_8)
> + values[i++] = Int64GetDatumFast(tmp.total_time[0] +
> + tmp.total_time[1]);
>
> BTW, Int64GetDatumFast() should be Float8GetDatumFast()?

Oh indeed, embarrassing copy/pasto.

> >> Oh thanks, I didn't noticed this part of the discussion. I agree with Tom's
> >> concern, and I think that having a specific nesting level variable for the
> >> planner is the best workaround, so I'll implement that.
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > I also exported BufferUsageAccumDiff as mentioned previously, as it seems
> > clearner and will avoid future useless code churn, and run pgindent.
>
> Many thanks!! I'm thinking to commit this part separately.
> So I made that patch based on your patch. Attached.

Thanks! It looks good to me.