Re: Ordered Partitioned Table Scans

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ordered Partitioned Table Scans
Date: 2018-10-26 11:01:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 6:40 AM David Rowley
<david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 26 October 2018 at 16:52, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> > I recall Ronan Dunklau and Julien Rouhaud had proposed a patch for this
> > last year, but the partitioning-related planning code hadn't advanced then
> > as much as it has today, so they sort of postponed working on it.
> > Eventually their patch was returned with feedback last November. Here's
> > the link to their email in case you wanted to read some comments their
> > proposal and patch got, although some of them might be obsolete.
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2401607.SfZhPQhbS4%40ronan_laptop
>
> Thanks. I wasn't aware, or ... forgot. Looks like back then was tricky
> times to be doing this. Hopefully, the dust has settled a little bit
> now.

Yes, back then I unfortunately had a limited time to work on that, and
I had to spend all of it rebasing the patch instead of working on the
various issue :(

Sadly, I have even less time now, but I'll try to look at your patch
this weekend! As far as I remember, the biggest problems we had was
to handle multi-level partitionning, when the query is ordered by all
or a subset of the partition keys, and/or with a mix of ASC/DESC
clauses. It also required some extra processing on the cost part for
queries that can be naturally ordered and contain a LIMIT clause,
since we can estimate how many partitions will have to be scanned.