Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-05-13 04:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le jeu. 13 mai 2021 à 12:18, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> a
écrit :

> I like leaving compute_query_id=auto instead of overwriting it to "on",
> even when queryIsWanted() is called, as I told upthread. Then we can decide
> that query id computation is necessary when compute_query_id=auto and
> the special flag is enabled by queryIsWanted(). Of course as you and Magnus
> discussed upthread, the issue in EXEC_BACKEND case should be fixed,
> maybe by using save_backend_variables() or something, though.
>
> If we do this, compute_query_id=auto seems to be similar to huge_pages=try.
> When huge_pages=try, whether huge pages is actually used is defined
> depending
> outside PostgreSQL (i.e, OS setting in this case). Neither
> pg_settings.setting nor
> souce are not changed in that case.

I'm fine with that, but a lot of people complained that it wasn't good
because you don't really know if it's actually on or not. I personally
don't think that it's an issue, because what user want is to
automagumically do what they want, not check how the magic happened, and if
they want a third party implementation then the module can error out if the
setting is on, so the burden will only be for those users, and handled by
the third party module author.