Re: WAL usage calculation patch

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Kirill Bychik <kirill(dot)bychik(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WAL usage calculation patch
Date: 2020-04-07 14:23:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 12:00 PM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2020-04-07 04:12, Amit Kapila wrote:

> >> We talked about that here:
> >> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200402054120.GC14618%40telsasoft.com
> >>

> > Yeah. Just to brief here, the main reason was that one of the fields
> > (full page writes) already had a single space and then we had prior
> > cases as mentioned in Justin's email [1] where we use two spaces which
> > lead us to decide using two spaces in this case.
>
> We also have existing cases for the other way:
>
> actual time=0.050..0.052
> Buffers: shared hit=3 dirtied=1
>
> The cases mentioned by Justin are not formatted in a key=value format,
> so it's not quite the same, but it also raises the question why they are
> not.
>
> Let's figure out a way to consolidate this without making up a third format.

The parsability problem Justin was mentioning is only due to "full
page writes", so we could use "full_page_writes" or "fpw" instead and
remove the extra spaces. There would be a small discrepancy with the
verbose autovacuum log, but there are others differences already.

I'd slightly in favor of "fpw" to be more concise. Would that be ok?