Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)
Date: 2020-01-05 15:31:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 4:11 PM legrand legrand
<legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> I would like to create a link with
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1577490124579-0.post@n3.nabble.com
>
> where we met an ASSET FAILURE because query text was not initialized ...
>
> The question raised is:
>
> - should query text be always provided
> or
> - if not how to deal that case (in pgss).

I'd think that since the query text was until now always provided,
there's no reason why this patch should change that. That being said,
there has been other concerns raised wrt. temporary tables in the IVM
patchset, so ISTM that there might be important architectural changes
upcoming, so having to deal with this case in pgss is not rushed
(especially since handling that in pgss would be trivial), and can
help to catch issue with the query text pasing.