Re: Should we increase the default vacuum_cost_limit?

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeremy Schneider <schnjere(at)amazon(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we increase the default vacuum_cost_limit?
Date: 2019-03-10 13:10:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 10:04 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I tried this, and it seems to work pretty well. The first of the two
> attached patches just teaches guc.c to support units for float values,
> incidentally allowing "us" as an input unit for time-based GUCs.

Why not allowing third party extensions to declare a GUC stored in us?
We need a backward-compatible format for vacuum setting, but I don't
see a good reason to force external extensions to do the same, and it
wouldn't require much extra work.

> The second converts [autovacuum_]cost_delay to float GUCs, and changes
> the default value for autovacuum_cost_delay from 20ms to 2ms.
> We'd want to revert the previous patch that changed the default value
> of vacuum_cost_limit, else this means a 100x not 10x change in the
> default autovac speed ... but I've not included that in this patch.

Otherwise everything looks good to me. BTW the patches didn't apply
cleanly with git-apply, but patch -p1 didn't complain.

> 2. It's always bugged me that we don't allow fractional unit
> specifications, say "0.1GB", even for GUCs that are integers underneath.
> That would be a simple additional change on top of this, but I didn't
> do it here.

It annoyed me multiple times, so +1 for making that happen.