Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "sk(at)zsrv(dot)org" <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Imai Yoshikazu <yoshikazu_i443(at)live(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)
Date: 2019-11-19 14:27:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:00 AM imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Actually I also don't have strong opinion but I thought someone would complain about renaming of those columns and also some tools like monitoring which use those columns will not work. If we use {total, min, max, mean, stddev}_time, someone might mistakenly understand {total, min, max, mean, stddev}_time mean {total, min, max, mean, stddev} of planning and execution.
> If I need to choose {total, min, max, mean, stddev}_time or {total, min, max, mean, stddev}_exec_time, I choose former one because choosing best name is not worth destructing the existing scripts or tools.

We could definitely keep (plan|exec)_time for the SRF, and have the
{total, min, max, mean, stddev}_time created by the view to be a sum
of planning + execution for each counter, and it doesn't sound like a
bad idea if having even more columns in the view is not an issue.