Re: POC: Extension for adding distributed tracing - pg_tracing

From: Anthonin Bonnefoy <anthonin(dot)bonnefoy(at)datadoghq(dot)com>
To: Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: Extension for adding distributed tracing - pg_tracing
Date: 2023-07-28 11:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> I'd keep Autotools build up to date
Definitely. The patch is still in a rough state and updating Autotools fell
through the cracks.

> I'm currently playing with the patch and
> reviewing sources, if you need any cooperation - please let us know.
The goal for me was to get validation on the design and to check if there
was anything that would be a blocker before commiting more time on the
project.

There are already several things I was planning on improving:
- The parse span is something I've added recently. I've realised that I
could rely on the stmtStartTimestamp to get the time spent in parsing in
the post parse hook so the code around this is still rough.
- There are probably race conditions on the reads and writes of the query
file that need to be fixed
- I'm using the same Span structure for everything while Executor spans
only need a small subset which is a bit wasteful. I've tried to use two
different shared buffers (base spans and spans with counters) but it was
making things more confusing.
- Finish commenting code and start writing the doc

So any comments, missing features and reviews on the current state of the
project is welcome.

Regards,
Anthonin