Windows locale cause server to send invalid data encoding to client

From: Antoine <plaskowski(dot)stanislas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Windows locale cause server to send invalid data encoding to client
Date: 2021-07-14 11:49:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I set up a postgresql server on Windows 10 and connected it using Rust, but
the Rust client reports invalid UTF-8 data when the password is wrong. I
use a french locale windows that contain some accents "éèê" etc.

Windows use WTF-16 <https://simonsapin.github.io/wtf-8/> but the Rust
client asks UTF-8 to the serveur so we think it's a bug from the server to
not send UTF-8 even if Windows doesn't use it for its locale translation.

Details can be found at this github issue #803
<https://github.com/sfackler/rust-postgres/issues/803>. Here a recorded
wireshark of the problem output.pcapng.gz
<https://github.com/sfackler/rust-postgres/files/6797262/output.pcapng.gz>.

The version is: `psql (PostgreSQL) 13.3`

I never used a mailing list so I'm not used to it.

--
La Terre est le berceau de l'humanité mais qui voudrait passer sa vie dans
un berceau.