Re: Parallel Index Scan Implementation

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Brajendra Pratap Singh <singh(dot)bpratap766(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parallel Index Scan Implementation
Date: 2023-11-27 15:27:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 4:11 AM Brajendra Pratap Singh <
singh(dot)bpratap766(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Postgresql Experts,
>
> We have a basic requirement where we need to implement the parallel index
> scan instead of parallel seq scan at table level. Please suggest the best
> way to do this.
>
> Postgresql DB Version : 12.6

That's far behind the latest patch level.

> Table size : 2-5 GB
>
> OS : Centos-7
>
> RAM : 96 GB
> CPU : 32
>
> shared_buffer=20GB

Plural: shared_buffers

> Effective_cache_size=60GB
>
> Max_worker_process = 32
> Max_parallel_worker=32
> Max_parallel_worker_per_gather=8
>
> Please let me know if any further details required .

Is there proper index support on the relevant columns? Have you analyzed
the tables? Are the values you're filtering on uncommon enough for PG to
think that indexes are relevant?