Problems between psycopg2 2.4.5 and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on libssl.dylib and libcrypto.dylib

From: Matthieu Rigal <matt(dot)rigal(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems between psycopg2 2.4.5 and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on libssl.dylib and libcrypto.dylib
Date: 2012-08-24 12:16:00
Lists: psycopg

Hi all,

I have now repeated the operation enough time to be almost convinced to
have isolated the point :
I am running on Mac OS X Python 2.7 + PostgreSql 9 + virtualenv where I do
later on a 'pip install psycopg2'

Now, doing exactly the same operation, installing exactly the same
libraries, repeated with PostgreSQL 9.0.9 and 9.1.5, I got a different
behaviour in OS X 10.8 and os X 10.7.

With OSX 10.7 (Lion), all is fine, psycopg2 is working.
With OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion), I have an exception already at the import

psycopg2 is looking for the libs libssl.dylib and libcrypto.dylib and
claiming he is just getting the version 0.9.8 and not the version 1.0.0

On both configuration, I have exactly the same setup of the libraries:
In /usr/lib, the libssl.dylib is linking on the libssl-0.9.8.dylib
And in /Library/PostgreSQL/9.1/lib I have the libssl-1.0.0.dylib

But the result at the end is different ! It seems somehow at the build of
psycopg2 that Lion is able to point to the libs of PostgreSQL, whereas it
is not doing the same under Mountain Lion.

I tried also to make the build after having added the path to the bin and
lib of PostgreSQL in $PATH, but it wasn't successful.

If someone with knowledge on the build process could have an eye on that it
would be great.

BTW, giving a look on libssl.dylib version problems through Google will
make you realize that also Ruby has more or less the same problem,
specifically with Mountain Lion.

The problem is solvable by symlinking the PostgreSQL libraries from the
/usr/lib/libssl.dylib (and libcrypto), but it may result in some
misbehaviour for other software, since it is then system-wide.

Cheers,
Matthieu