Facing error while restoring the database

From: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Facing error while restoring the database
Date: 2012-03-27 09:33:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I am facing issue while restoring the database. I have taken the backup of
my database using pg_dump and then create new database and try to restore
it using pg_restore. I am using PostgreSQL 9.0.
I have created one small test case to reproduce the issue, attached is the
sql file.

*Steps to reproduce:-*

1. Create new database 'Test_Backup' and run the attached .sql file.
2. Take backup of the above mentioned database using pg_dump
3. Create new database 'Test_Restore, and try to restore using
pg_restore.

As per my understanding, problem is with the pg_dump, need confirmation.
After analyzing the dump file(attached with the mail) it seems that *COPY
sample* statement comes before *COPY sample_one *which is wrong because
test.sample.ref_id is the REFERENCES of test.sample_one(id) table and I
have created one constraint on sample table which is getting failed during
restore.

One thing that I found is if we rename the *'sample'* table to* 'sample2'*and
*'sample_one'* table to *'sample1'*,* *bug is not reproducible. So it seems
that pg_dump take the backup sequential rather resolving the dependencies.

Is there any way to solve this issue without renaming the tables? Please
help.

--
*Akshay Joshi
Senior Software Engineer

Attachment Content-Type Size
TestCase.sql application/octet-stream 1.2 KB
sample_plain.backup application/octet-stream 5.7 KB