Re: How to ALTER EXTENSION name OWNER TO new_owner ?

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Colin 't Hart" <colinthart(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to ALTER EXTENSION name OWNER TO new_owner ?
Date: 2017-08-09 18:30:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:56 PM, David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> > Seems like something that should be handled by alter doesn't it?
>>
>> I have some vague memory that we intentionally didn't implement
>> ALTER EXTENSION OWNER because we were unsure what it ought to do
>> about ownership of objects belonging to the extension. If the answer
>> is "nothing" then it wouldn't be hard to add such a statement.
>>

> The documented contract of CREATE EXTENSION(1)/ALTER EXTENSION ADD
> MEMBER(2) requires that the extension owner and the owner of the member
> objects be one-and-the-same (I suppose the inclusion of DROP in (2) makes
> this debatable). I do not know what happens today if someone tries to
> ALTER OBJECT SET OWNER on a member object to a role other than the owner of
> the extension. From the docs I'd suggest that it should fail. Likewise,
> ALTER EXTENSION OWNER should cascade to all members - which (3), and normal
> dependency tracking, seems to make straight-forward.
>
> 1>The user who runs CREATE EXTENSION becomes the owner of the extension
> for purposes of later privilege checks, as well as the owner of any objects
> created by the extension's script.
>
> 2>You must own the extension to use ALTER EXTENSION. The ADD/DROP forms
> require ownership of the added/dropped object as well.
>
> 3>CREATE EXTENSION additionally records the identities of all the created
> objects, so that they can be dropped again if DROP EXTENSION is issued.
>
> David J.

*David,*

*The problem is, The current owner of the extension needs to be dropped. No
one should have to jump through hoops*
*just to be able to do that. There is definitely a need for an*

*ALTER EXTENSION name OWNER TO new_owner.*
*As Tom Lane has already pointed out, it would not be hard to add that.*

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you