Re: What does Rows Counted mean

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What does Rows Counted mean
Date: 2016-04-05 17:43:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 04/05/2016 10:10 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>

>> FYI, in PgAdmin, there is an Option which determines if a _physical row
>> count_ should be performed if the _estimated_ row count is less than a
>> specified amount. It defaults to 2000.
>> To change it, Click on File, Options and under Browser click Properties.
>> There you can change the default.
>>

> So that means it does select count(*) from the_table every time you click
> on the table properties if the estimated count is less then the set amount?
>

> --
>> *Melvin Davidson*
>> I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you
>> wish to share my fantasy is entirely up to you.
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com
>

> --
>

>So that means it does select count(*) from the_table every time you click
on the table properties if the estimated count is less then the set amount?
I believe so. That is why the default is low (2k). If you set it higher, it
will naturally take longer.
I did not write or contribute to PgAdmin, so there is no point in
complaining about it. It's just a user option.