Re: psql connection option: statement_timeout

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Boyd <craig(at)mysoftforge(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql connection option: statement_timeout
Date: 2016-07-04 00:00:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> correction:
>
> alter user reporting set statement_timemout=60 is handy for users that
> should never take a long time to connect.
>
> should read
>
> alter user reporting set statement_timemout=60 is handy for users that
> should never take a long time to run a statement.
>

>Part of what I am trying to do is understand the delineation between those
options I have at connect time as part of the connection string versus
those that should be scripted...

It is fairly simple. The options you have at connect time are documented
here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-psql.html

All other commands/statements must be executed after connect, specified
with the -c option or included in a file with -f .
Note the exceptions that can be specified per user as Scott mentioned.

*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you