Re: Revisiting {CREATE INDEX, REINDEX} CONCURRENTLY improvements

From: Michail Nikolaev <michail(dot)nikolaev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Revisiting {CREATE INDEX, REINDEX} CONCURRENTLY improvements
Date: 2024-02-21 11:36:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

> How do you suppose this would work differently from a long-lived
> normal snapshot, which is how it works right now?

Difference in the ability to take new visibility snapshot periodically
during the second phase with rechecking visibility of tuple according
to the "reference" snapshot (which is taken only once like now).
It is the approach from (1) but with a workaround for the issues
caused by heap_page_prune_opt.

> Would it be exclusively for that relation?
Yes, only for that affected relation. Other relations are unaffected.

> How would this be integrated with e.g. heap_page_prune_opt?
Probably by some flag in RelationData, but not sure here yet.

If the idea looks sane, I could try to extend my POC - it should be
not too hard, likely (I already have tests to make sure it is
correct).

(1): https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CANtu0oijWPRGRpaRR_OvT2R5YALzscvcOTFh-%3DuZKUpNJmuZtw%40mail.gmail.com#8141eb2ea177ff560ee713b3f20de404