PostgreSQL Failback without rebuild

From: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)lisasoft(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Failback without rebuild
Date: 2014-02-05 05:00:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello All,

I have been reading through some of the recent discussions about failback
when in a streaming replication setup. I define failback as:

1. Node A is master, Node B is slave
2. Node A crashes || Node A is stopped || nothing happens
3. Promote Node B to Master
4. Attach Node A as slave

My understanding is currently to achieve step three you need to take a base
backup of Node B and deploy it to Node A before starting streaming
replication (or use rsync etc...).

This is very undesirable for many users, especially if they have a very
large database.

From the discussions I can see that the problem is to do with Node A
writing changes to disk that Node B are not streamed before Node A crashes.

Has there been any consensus on this issue? Are there any solutions which
might make it into 9.4 or 9.5? I've seen some proposals and a tool
(pg_rewind), but all seem to have draw backs.

I've been looking mainly at these threads:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAF8Q-Gy7xa60HwXc0MKajjkWFEbFDWTG=gGyu1KmT+s2xcQ-bw@mail.gmail.com

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAF8Q-Gxg3PQTf71NVECe-6OzRaew5pWhk7yQtbJgWrFu513s+Q@mail.gmail.com

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/519DF910.4020609@vmware.com

Cheers,

James Sewell,
PostgreSQL Team Lead / Solutions Architect

Level 2, 50 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000

*P *(+61) 3 8370 8000 *W* www.lisasoft.com *F *(+61) 3 8370 8099

--

The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or