Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms

From: Yuriy Zhuravlev <stalkerg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hartmut Holzgraefe <hartmut(dot)holzgraefe(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date: 2018-05-03 01:49:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Sorry, but comparing lines at that state is just bullshit.

I totally disagree, proportions will be same in any case.

Most of the comments of converted tests are missing.

Add 100-500 lines? ok.

You detect like a third of the things that the old configure
> detected.

I tried to use CMake way when it exists but for some other things, I
porting checking from old autoconf system.

The
> thread safety check definitely aren't comparable. The int128 type checks
> aren't comparable.

The atomics check don't guard
> against compilers that allow to reference undefined functions at compile
> time.

I am not sure about "comparable", but anyway you can make PR with a fix
or at least make an issue in my tracker and I fix it.

No LLVM detection.

Sure! Because my code base still on postgres 10. After all words about new
build system and cmake here, I have no plan to support not
released versions. I am not a masochist...

Regards,