Re: ]GTK 3

From: Björn Harrtell <bjorn(dot)harrtell(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ]GTK 3
Date: 2016-01-07 11:56:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 7:47 AM, Björn Harrtell <bjorn(dot)harrtell(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Yes, sorry, I made both the comments and the patch too hastily and agree
> > that it should not be removed based on my findings.
> >
> > It should be noted though that wx3 or GTK3 by themselves is not to blame
> > here, I'm guessing it should affect wx2 and GTK2 too because it's more
> of a
> > logical problem in where a user created the server node in a light theme
> > which will save a white color for the background... then if the user
> > switches to a dark theme, the saved white color is problematic.
>
> Well the same applies in a more default theme if you use a dark
> background. I guess the answer is to say "don't do that then" - I'd
> certainly prefer not to have pgAdmin try to second guess what colours
> might work against whatever the theme has for the current text colour.

Agreed. But what about saving the color only when making an active choice
so that the current system window background color is used until the user
have customized the color?

> > I noticed work on pgadmin4 too and while interesting, I want to see
> pgadmin3
> > shine on linux desktops in the life it has left which might be quite some
> > time (?). I see several distinct areas of work that I'd like to
> contribute
> > efforts with:
> >
> > 1. Upgrade to latest stable wx
>
> That should be largely done, at least as far as compilation/linking is
> concerned. As far as I know the only outstanding issue is with
> resource generation when creating a Mac package.

Great. Just upgrading will be beneficial. Looking forward especially to get
an updated wxStyledTextCtrl for the query editor. Unfortunately I cannot
help with Mac-issues.

> > 2. Compile with GTK+ 3.x as default on Linux (not sure it's ready for
> this,
> > needs research and collaboration with dist packaging)
>
> OK.
>
> > 3. Evaluate which controls that can/need replacement (i.e replace with
> > wxTreeListCtrl, wxDataViewCtrl and perhaps wxToolBar)
>
> I think we'd want compelling reasons to use different controls with
> wx3 - and they'd need to be compelling enough to warrant additional
> code complexity that would be added to continue to support wx2.

Agreed. If the changes required are very large and/or invasive it is
probably not worth it, that's what I'm planning to look into. The main
benefit as I see it is that the new controls are backed by native controls
for the GTK and Mac versions of wx.

> > 4. Refactor existing code to use the controls that pass evaulation
> >
> > Feedback and guidance on how to proceed is much appreciated!
>
> Propose changes here, and justify why they're needed essentially. If
> consensus is that a change is warranted, then work can start on a
> patch.
>
> Please do bear in mind though that I have something like 10 people
> working almost exclusively on pgAdmin 4 right now, pushing us to an
> alpha state by the end of Q1 - and whilst I expect pgAdmin 3 to be
> around for a while yet, my, and my teams focus will be primarily on
> that work.

Understandable. I look forward to be able to try out that alpha, and to
hopefully contribute to that project instead in the future.