Custom gucs visibility

From: Nikhil Sontakke <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Custom gucs visibility
Date: 2013-07-02 13:32:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

So, if I have a contrib module which adds in a custom guc via
DefineCustomIntVariable() for example. Now that custom guc is not visible
via a show command unless that corresponding .so has been loaded into
memory.

E.g.

postgres=# show pg_buffercache.fancy_custom_guc;
ERROR: unrecognized configuration parameter
"pg_buffercache.fancy_custom_guc"

Should we do something about this or we are ok with the current behavior? I
would prefer to get to see the config parameter value if I so happen to
want to see it before the load of that contrib module. Thoughts?

Regards,
Nikhils