Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table

From: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Rémi Lapeyre <remi(dot)lapeyre(at)lenstra(dot)fr>, Eli Marmor <eli(at)netmask(dot)it>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Georgios <gkokolatos(at)protonmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table
Date: 2021-01-14 21:22:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 5:46 PM Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 7:50 PM Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> I prefer to have them hidden by default. This was mentioned up-thread with no decision, it seems the standard is ambiguous. MS SQL appears to have flip-flopped on this decision [1].

I think the default should be like this:

SELECT * FROM foo FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF ...
should NOT include the Start and End timestamp columns
because this acts like a normal query just with a different snapshot timestamp

SELECT * FROM foo FOR SYSTEM_TIME BETWEEN x AND y
SHOULD include the Start and End timestamp columns
since this form of query can include multiple row versions for the
same row, so it makes sense to see the validity times

--
Simon Riggs http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/