Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers

From: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date: 2022-11-16 15:04:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 at 12:47, Bharath Rupireddy
<bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 2:34 PM Simon Riggs
> <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Reposting v6 now so that patch tester doesn't think this has failed
> > when the patch on other thread gets applied.
>
> Intention of the patch, that is, to get rid of promote_trigger_file
> GUC sometime in future, looks good to me. However, the timeout change
> to 60 sec from 5 sec seems far-reaching. While it discourages the use
> of the GUC, it can impact many existing production servers that still
> rely on promote_trigger_file as it can increase the failover times
> impacting SLAs around failover.

The purpose of 60s is to allow for power reduction, so 5s won't do.

promote_trigger_file is not tested and there are better ways, so
deprecating it in this release is fine.

Anyone that relies on it can update their mechanisms to a supported
one with a one-line change. Realistically, anyone using it won't be on
the latest release anyway, at least for a long time, since if they use
manual methods then they are well behind the times.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/