Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15

From: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Finnerty, Jim" <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15
Date: 2022-01-12 13:26:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 at 08:21, Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> Perhaps we can merge some of the code cleanup that it contained, such as using XID_FMT everywhere and creating a type for the kind of page returned by TransactionIdToPage() to make the code cleaner.
>

> Agree, I think this is a good idea.

Looks to me like the best next actions would be:

1. Submit a patch that uses XID_FMT everywhere, as a cosmetic change.
This looks like it will reduce the main patch size considerably and
make it much less scary. That can be cleaned up and committed while we
discuss the main approach.

2. Write up the approach in a detailed README, so people can
understand the proposal and assess if there are problems. A few short
notes and a link back to old conversations isn't enough to allow wide
review and give confidence on such a major patch.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/