Re: O(n) tasks cause lengthy startups and checkpoints

From: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: O(n) tasks cause lengthy startups and checkpoints
Date: 2022-11-30 06:22:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 03:56, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 12:02:44PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > The last important point for me is tests, in src/test/modules
> > probably. It might be possible to reuse the final state of other
> > modules' tests to test cleanup, or at least integrate a custodian test
> > into each module.
>
> Of course. I found some existing tests for the test_decoding plugin that
> appear to reliably generate the files we want the custodian to clean up, so
> I added them there.

Thanks for adding the tests; I can see they run clean.

The only minor thing I would personally add is a note in each piece of
code to explain where the tests are for each one and/or something in
the main custodian file that says tests exist within src/test/module.

Otherwise, ready for committer.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/