Re: Supporting tls-server-end-point as SCRAM channel binding for OpenSSL 1.0.0 and 1.0.1

From: Steven Fackler <sfackler(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Supporting tls-server-end-point as SCRAM channel binding for OpenSSL 1.0.0 and 1.0.1
Date: 2018-06-06 21:53:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:21 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

Thanks for the pointers, Steven. You should avoid top-posting on this
> list, this is not the style used on the Postgres lists.

Ah sorry about that! Hopefully this looks better.

> Does this mean that tls-server-end-point goes into unsupported mode?
> The emails you mention (thanks!), talk about only tls-unique while the
> RFCs mention all channel binding types.

That's the part that I'm unsure about - tls-server-end-point doesn't seem
particularly objectionable. I asked for some clarification from the person
that I was talking to earlier.

> Please let me think about this one, I am not completely sure yet what
> that would mean for libpq and the backend code.

On the backend, you can use SSL_session_reused to check if a session was
resumed, and then use SSL_get_peer_finished if it wasn't and
SSL_get_finished if it was. The libpq frontend library doesn't need to
worry about it since it never attempts to reuse sessions.

Steven