Re: Where **not** to use PostgreSQL?

From: Raymond Brinzer <ray(dot)brinzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Güttler <guettliml(at)thomas-guettler(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Where **not** to use PostgreSQL?
Date: 2019-02-28 17:17:41
Lists: pgsql-general

I often avoid PostgreSQL when using software for which PostgreSQL
support is secondary. Usually this is the case where MySQL is the
default, but PostgreSQL is on the "also supported" list. "Also" is
too often a synonym for "badly", here, and unless I really want to be
able to approach the underlying database *as a database*, the better
choice is to go with the flow. Even when I do need that, I'll
consider whether the features I need are exclusive to, or much better
on, PostgreSQL.

When developing something myself, I've also chosen MySQL because the
other technical people likely to be involved are at least somewhat
familiar with it. A person who is marginally competent with databases
doesn't need the added difficulty of learning a new DBMS while
learning whatever I created.

It's always a pleasure when I don't have such issues, and I can use PostgreSQL.

--
Ray Brinzer