Re: cpluspluscheck/headerscheck require build in REL_16_STABLE

From: John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marina Polyakova <m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cpluspluscheck/headerscheck require build in REL_16_STABLE
Date: 2024-04-13 05:40:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 11:51 PM Marina Polyakova
<m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> Hello, hackers!
>
> When running cpluspluscheck/headerscheck on REL_16_STABLE [1] I found
> that everything was ok only if it was preceded by a build and make
> maintainer-clean was not used:

I can reproduce this.

> In the other branches everything is fine: these problems begin with
> commits [2] (jsonpath_gram.h) and [3] (gram.h) and in the master branch
> there're no such problems after commit [4]. The attached diff.patch
> fixes this issue for me. (IIUC internal headers generated by Bison are
> usually excluded from such checks so I also excluded gramparse.h and
> jsonpath_internal.h...)

I'm not in favor of this patch because these files build fine on
master, so there is no good reason to exclude them. We should arrange
so that they build fine on PG16 as well. The problem is, not all the
required headers are generated when invoking `make headerscheck`. The
attached patch brings in some Makefile rules from master to make this
work. Does this fix it for you?

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-build-headers-for-pg16-headerscheck.patch text/x-patch 1.3 KB