Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum

From: John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date: 2024-03-15 07:36:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 7:04 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 6:55 PM John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > That's a promising idea. We can use the same mechanism for randomized
> > > tests too. If you're going to work on this, I'll do other tests on my
> > > environment in the meantime.
> >
> > Some progress on this in v72 -- I tried first without using SQL to
> > save the blocks, just using the unique blocks from the verification
> > array. It seems to work fine.
>
> Thanks!

Seems I forgot the attachment last time...there's more stuff now
anyway, based on discussion.

> > - Since there are now three arrays we should reduce max bytes to
> > something smaller.
>
> Agreed.

I went further than this, see below.

> > - Further on that, I'm not sure if the "is full" test is telling us
> > much. It seems we could make max bytes a static variable and set it to
> > the size of the empty store. I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to add
> > enough tids so that the contexts need to allocate some blocks, and
> > then it would appear full and we can test that. I've made it so all
> > arrays repalloc when needed, just in case.
>
> How about using work_mem as max_bytes instead of having it as a static
> variable? In test_tidstore.sql we set work_mem before creating the
> tidstore. It would make the tidstore more controllable by SQL queries.

My complaint is that the "is full" test is trivial, and also strange
in that max_bytes is used for two unrelated things:

- the initial size of the verification arrays, which was always larger
than necessary, and now there are three of them
- the hint to TidStoreCreate to calculate its max block size / the
threshold for being "full"

To make the "is_full" test slightly less trivial, my idea is to save
the empty store size and later add enough tids so that it has to
allocate new blocks/DSA segments, which is not that many, and then it
will appear full. I've done this and also separated the purpose of
various sizes in v72-0009/10.

Using actual work_mem seems a bit more difficult to make this work.

> > - I'm not sure it's useful to keep test_lookup_tids() around. Since we
> > now have a separate lookup test, the only thing it can tell us is that
> > lookups fail on an empty store. I arranged it so that
> > check_set_block_offsets() works on an empty store. Although that's
> > even more trivial, it's just reusing what we already need.
>
> Agreed.

Removed in v72-0007

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 9:49 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have two questions on tidstore.c:
>
> +/*
> + * Set the given TIDs on the blkno to TidStore.
> + *
> + * NB: the offset numbers in offsets must be sorted in ascending order.
> + */
>
> Do we need some assertions to check if the given offset numbers are
> sorted expectedly?

Done in v72-0008

> ---
> + if (TidStoreIsShared(ts))
> + found = shared_rt_set(ts->tree.shared, blkno, page);
> + else
> + found = local_rt_set(ts->tree.local, blkno, page);
> +
> + Assert(!found);
>
> Given TidStoreSetBlockOffsets() is designed to always set (i.e.
> overwrite) the value, I think we should not expect that found is
> always false.

I find that a puzzling statement, since 1) it was designed for
insert-only workloads, not actual overwrite IIRC and 2) the tests will
now fail if the same block is set twice, since we just switched the
tests to use a remnant of vacuum's old array. Having said that, I
don't object to removing artificial barriers to using it for purposes
not yet imagined, as long as test_tidstore.sql warns against that.

Given the above two things, I think this function's comment needs
stronger language about its limitations. Perhaps even mention that
it's intended for, and optimized for, vacuum. You and I have long
known that tidstore would need a separate, more complex, function to
add or remove individual tids from existing entries, but it might be
good to have that documented.

Other things:

v72-0011: Test that zero offset raises an error.

v72-0013: I had wanted to microbenchmark this, but since we are
running short of time I decided to skip that, so I want to revert some
code to make it again more similar to the equivalent in tidbitmap.c.
In the absence of evidence, it seems better to do it this way.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v72-ART.tar.gz application/gzip 30.5 KB