Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date: 2024-03-15 02:48:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 9:03 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 6:55 PM John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > That's a promising idea. We can use the same mechanism for randomized
> > > tests too. If you're going to work on this, I'll do other tests on my
> > > environment in the meantime.
> >
> > Some progress on this in v72 -- I tried first without using SQL to
> > save the blocks, just using the unique blocks from the verification
> > array. It seems to work fine.
>
> Thanks!
>

> > - Since there are now three arrays we should reduce max bytes to
> > something smaller.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > - Further on that, I'm not sure if the "is full" test is telling us
> > much. It seems we could make max bytes a static variable and set it to
> > the size of the empty store. I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to add
> > enough tids so that the contexts need to allocate some blocks, and
> > then it would appear full and we can test that. I've made it so all
> > arrays repalloc when needed, just in case.
>
> How about using work_mem as max_bytes instead of having it as a static
> variable? In test_tidstore.sql we set work_mem before creating the
> tidstore. It would make the tidstore more controllable by SQL queries.
>
> > - Why are we switching to TopMemoryContext? It's not explained -- the
> > comment only tells what the code is doing (which is obvious), but not
> > why.
>
> This is because the tidstore needs to live across the transaction
> boundary. We can use TopMemoryContext or CacheMemoryContext.
>
> > - I'm not sure it's useful to keep test_lookup_tids() around. Since we
> > now have a separate lookup test, the only thing it can tell us is that
> > lookups fail on an empty store. I arranged it so that
> > check_set_block_offsets() works on an empty store. Although that's
> > even more trivial, it's just reusing what we already need.
>
> Agreed.

I have two questions on tidstore.c:

+/*
+ * Set the given TIDs on the blkno to TidStore.
+ *
+ * NB: the offset numbers in offsets must be sorted in ascending order.
+ */

Do we need some assertions to check if the given offset numbers are
sorted expectedly?

---
+ if (TidStoreIsShared(ts))
+ found = shared_rt_set(ts->tree.shared, blkno, page);
+ else
+ found = local_rt_set(ts->tree.local, blkno, page);
+
+ Assert(!found);

Given TidStoreSetBlockOffsets() is designed to always set (i.e.
overwrite) the value, I think we should not expect that found is
always false.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada