OidFunctionCall* returning null.

From: David Zwarg <dzwarg+postgis(at)azavea(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OidFunctionCall* returning null.
Date: 2011-11-18 16:17:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I have been working with the PostGIS developers, and I'm implementing a
facility to use 'callback' functions to process cells in a raster image.

I have implemented this behind the scenes as a C function that calls a
provided sql regprocedure with OidFunctionCall*. I have been reading the
docs, and it states that "Note that neither arguments nor result are
allowed to be NULL."

In this use case, there are legitimate reasons to return NULL from a
'callback' function -- is there an alternative method that I should use,
instead of OidFunctionCall*?

Thanks,
David