Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)

From: Bruno Harbulot <bruno(at)distributedmatter(dot)net>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)
Date: 2015-05-20 15:13:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
wrote:

> If you are running into situations
> where you have question mark operators in your queries, you have already
> lost
> the query abstraction battle. There will be no seamless switching if you
> are using jsonb, hstore, ltree, etc.

Actually, no, you haven't quite lost that battle, or rather, that battle
doesn't even need to take place.

You can still use common tools for operations that are not really
RDMBS-specific AND use PostgreSQL extensions on a case-by-case basis
depending on your application requirements.
Some of these tools already allow you to tweak slightly their capabilities
by implementing dialects, and let you use specific features if required.

I think this is a major advantage of having these extensions in PostgreSQL:
you can have the best of both worlds. It's not so much about being able to
switch to another RDMBS, it's about not having to re-implement the bulk of
the structure when you just want to benefit from a few additional
extensions (for example, mixing the classic RDBMS model with the JSON store
model).

Best wishes,

Bruno.