Misleading bgworker log message

From: Mike Blackwell <mike(dot)blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com>
To: PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Misleading bgworker log message
Date: 2017-03-17 15:30:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

​​
A handful of rather surprising errors showed up in our log extract this
morning, along the lines of:

2017-03-17 05:01:55 CDT [5400]: [1-1] @ FATAL: 57P01: terminating
connection due to administrator command

​After a moment of more than a little astonishment, a look at the full log
revealed

that, while the message implies some type of intervention from a
​ human​
, what's actually happening is the termination of parallel query worker
threads due to a statement timeout.

​I gather this is happening because the same mechanism is used to cancel
the process in both cases. If that's indeed the case, I wonder if
it's possible to
​re
phrase the termination message
​so it does not ​
suggest
​an admin was involved.

*Mike Blackwell | Technical Analyst, Distribution Services/Rollout
Management | RR Donnelley*
1750 Wallace Ave | St Charles, IL 60174-3401
Office: 630.313.7818
Mike(dot)Blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com
http://www.rrdonnelley.com

<http://www.rrdonnelley.com/>