Re: [NOVICE] WHERE clause not used when index is used

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tobias Florek <postgres(at)ibotty(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] WHERE clause not used when index is used
Date: 2016-03-02 10:57:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

On 1 March 2016 at 20:03, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> In any event, I am now of the opinion that this patch needs to be reverted
> outright and returned to the authors for redesign. There are too many
> things wrong with it and too little reason to think that we have to have
> it in 9.5.

Agreed; I'd already got to this thought while reading the thread.

I'll get on with that.

The patch is not of great importance to us? Since we are past 9.6 deadline
it seems just worth reverting and leaving for next release to come back
with a more isolated optimization. I don't want to add the last CF workload
with this.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>