Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server
Date: 2016-04-06 13:00:20
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 6 April 2016 at 13:48, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Yeah... We have reached a clear consensus about the way things should
> be done after quite a lot of discussions that has gone for a couple of
> months. And Andres' design on the matter is what is getting approval
> from everybody who has worked toward addressing this issue while
> really taking care of the problem at its root.

Clearly I am not included in your use of the words "we" and "everybody" !

What you mean is that you and Andres agree, so using the word consensus is
not appropriate and certainly not clear. We did all agree on the point that
the earlier fix cannot be backpatched, so if it is as grevious a problem as
described many users will not now benefit.

I will revert my earlier patch now.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>