Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date: 2015-07-07 12:07:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6 July 2015 at 17:28, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

I think we need something for pg_upgrade to rewrite existing VMs. Otherwise
> a large read only database would suddenly require a massive revacuum after
> upgrade, which seems bad. That can wait for now until we all agree this
> patch is sound.

Since we need to rewrite the "vm" map, I think we should call the new map
"vfm"

That way we will be able to easily check whether the rewrite has been
conducted on all relations.

Since the maps are just bits there is no other way to tell that a map has
been rewritten

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>