Re: Choosing parallel_degree

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>, Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>, James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)lisasoft(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andreas Ulbrich <andreas(dot)ulbrich(at)matheversum(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Choosing parallel_degree
Date: 2016-04-12 08:54:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 April 2016 at 07:58, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 3:15 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8 April 2016 at 17:49, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>>> With the patch, you can - if you wish - substitute
>>> some other number for the one the planner comes up with.
>>

>> I saw you're using AccessExclusiveLock, the reason being it affects
>> SELECTs.
>>
>> That is supposed to apply when things might change the answer from a
>> SELECT, whereas this affects only the default for a plan.
>>

> By this theory, shouldn't any other parameter like n_distinct_inherited
> which just effects the plan required lower lock level?

It should, yes, and I'm as surprised to see it isn't as you are.

why each setting was OK to change; 9 days later he had not done so or
replied, so I committed a reduced version of the patch that matched
existing tests and code comments.

I guess we could have salvaged some more from it, but we didn't and there's
never enough time.

If RMT allows, that can be changed or it can wait.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>