Re: On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking...

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kang Yuzhe <tiggreen87(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking...
Date: 2017-04-17 16:33:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27 March 2017 at 13:00, Kang Yuzhe <tiggreen87(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have found PG source Code reading and hacking to be one the most
> frustrating experiences in my life. I believe that PG hacking should not be
> a painful journey but an enjoyable one!
>
> It is my strong believe that out of my PG hacking frustrations, there may
> come insights for the PG experts on ways how to devise hands-on with PG
> internals so that new comers will be great coders as quickly as possible.

I'm here now because PostgreSQL has clear, well designed and
maintained code with accurate docs, great comments and a helpful team.

I'd love to see detailed cases where another project is better in a
measurable way; I am willing to learn from that.

Any journey to expertise takes 10,000 hours. There is no way to shorten that.

What aspect of your journey caused you pain?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/