Re: pg_basebackup and replication slots

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup and replication slots
Date: 2015-07-29 12:45:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 July 2015 at 13:00, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> As far as I understand this subthread the goal is to have a
> pg_basebackup that internally creates a slot, so it can guarantee that
> all the required WAL is present till streamed out by -X
> stream/fetch. The problem with just creating a slot is that it'd "leak"
> if pg_basebackup is killed, or the connection breaks. The idea with the
> ephemeral slot is that it'd automatically kept alive until the base
> backup is complete, but would also automatically be dropped if the base
> backup fails.
>
> Makes sense?

So this would be needed when creating a standalone backup that would not be
persistently connected to the master, yet we want to bring it up as a
live/writable server in a single command, and we want to make it easy to
script in case our script is killed?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>