Re: Rangejoin rebased

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rangejoin rebased
Date: 2018-01-10 15:49:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10 January 2018 at 04:24, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> For this to be useful, it needs to include some details of how to use
>> it when people have NOT used range datatypes in their tables.
>
> Good idea. I added an example that doesn't have range types in the base table.

Cool, thanks

It would be useful to consider any related use cases.
Are there applications for range operators other than &&?

Do we optimize for TIMESTAMP <@ RANGE as well?

Does this link in nicely with partition-aware joins?
Does it allow partition exclusion if you join a daterange to a time
range partitioned table?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/