Re: Allow ssl_renegotiation_limit in PG 9.5

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
Cc: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <Pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow ssl_renegotiation_limit in PG 9.5
Date: 2015-10-17 11:49:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16 October 2015 at 14:41, Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org> wrote:

>> If not, the only solution I can see is for PostgreSQL to not protest if
>> it sees the
>> parameter in the startup packet.
>>

> Yeah, that's the ideal solution here as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, but I don't like the idea of hardcoding something so horribly
specific into the server.

It seems reasonable for us to have behaviour that varies according to the
driver software that is trying to connect.

I'd rather the driver added "driver=npgsql" as an additional parameter in
the StartupMessage. We can then make the server run some driver specific
logic, rather than hardcoding something that could cause breakage
elsewhere. This mechanism would then be extensible to all drivers.

The StartupMessage already allows a variable number of parameters, so we
don't need to change the protocol. We can backpatch a simple fix to all
supported versions.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>